Friday, August 11, 2006

Innocent Words that Sound So Naughty!

After awaking at 2:30 a.m. with a very sore throat, I decided to jump on the Net to see if perhaps I was dying of throat cancer or something. As it turns out, I wasn't. My throat was just swollen, likely from dehydration and breathing through my mouth and possibly allergies as well. During my search for "swollen throat," I came across a word that sounded dirty, but wasn't...and so I thought I would try to put together a list of dirty-sounding, innocent words, words that should probably be enunciated very clearly and spoken slowly to avoid misinterpretation, words that should be avoided by those with strong accents.

Here's my list so far:

- uvula
- testy
- Regina

- sects
- cleats
- peanuts
- crutches
- masticate
- Uranus

- penal
- debriefing
- evection
- rectory
- pianist
- circumscribe

There are some other debatably "naughty-sounding" phrases and words found here. However, some of those sound pretty innocuous to me, so I don't consider that list to be very good. Can you think of other words that sound dirty, but really aren't?



4 comments:

Wobbly*Bits said...

I can't think of any new ones but so true! Uvula is my fave. Totally sounds like it should be some part of female anatomy.

Wobbly*Bits said...

cumquat? i'm stretching.

Wobbly*bits said...

rectory.

**giggle**

Anonymous said...

The word is shuttlecock.

It's the actual name of the plastic cone thing or "birdy" that you hit in badminton. I heard the word and my mind went straight to the gutter