Thursday, August 24, 2006

I Pity the Boy, Really

My poor brother.

One day, far far far in the future when he finally settles down and "gets serious" with a girl, he's bound to have to bring her "home" to meet the family. And on that day, that poor girl is going to find herself in the hot seat big-time.

You see, my bro has 4 "moms" - his actual biologic
al mother, and 3 older sisters who overprotect like a mom. In fact, I would hardly be surprised if the easiest approval ratings will come from MomM and not from Sisters 1, 2, and 3. My mom is pretty easy-going and accepting, and she's also the same lady who advised her daughters not to marry for looks, since the good-looking ones are more prone to cheat (Ha! I defied that advice and married a hottie anyway!). Needless to say, her standards may not be that high! ;)

We sisters, however, have always held high expectations for this boy (and his future wife). Since he was the golden child (read: son) long awaited by the folks, and the youngest, we quickly assumed roles as his pseudo-guardians/babysitters/protectors. With that came a very unique affection that we hold for him, as well as a special value that we attach to the bearer-of-the-family-name. As we have watched his potential unfold and develop, and seen him emerge from awkward-geek-boy to studly-geek-boy, so too our expectations for his future wife have grown. We want him to have the best things in his life, and naturally that would include the best possible woman.


I can only speak for myself (and not the other two very strong, opinionated, independent, loud daughters in the family), but I can fairly say that this girl is going to have to be a beautiful specimen of womankind, both on the inside and out, for her to be viewed (in my eyes) as an adequate sister-in-law. You see, my bro's a hottie (for an Asian). He's pretty tall (for an Asian), he's slim, he's got a great smile, and he has a nice full head of black hair. He's also well-written, smart, and insightful, plus he loves the Lord and is becoming quite a man of God. An all-around good guy.

So, what sort of girl do I think is most appropriate for a guy like my bro? I could really go on forever, but to keep it succinct, she has to be bubbly, beautiful, brilliant, and a believer. Bubbly = warm and inviting, friendly and loving, extroverted and sweet. Beautiful = I'm thinking big round expressive eyes, clear fair skin, feminine but strong, thin but not frail, and with a full big-lipped smile that shows a lot of teeth (a trait that our entire clan shares). Brilliant = a quick wit, a thirst for learning, a good work ethic, and a brain that works. A believer - well, that's self-explanatory, isn't it?

And that's just my list, and doesn't include all of the traits and characteristics that Sisters 2 and 3 are going to be looking for.

In light of the intense scrutiny that would-be girlfriends will have to undergo, will all the girls that he brings home be doomed to a similar fate of overjudgment? Will there perchance be that *one* lucky lady who manages to meet and exceed all of our expectations, to the point where her approval ratings rank high in all 4 moms' books? I suppose only time will tell, right? Thank God he's still young; he has a lot of time to look! =P


18 comments:

Justice said...

"Ha! I defied that advice and married a hottie anyway!"

You are the love my life, but you need to use pictures that don't feature me 15 -20 lbs overweight when using that sentence...

I've got so many better pictures!! Why!?! ;)

RennyBA said...

I came to yours from Nome and say hello from Norway!
Don't pity your bro - as you said: he has a lot of time to look! and still he has his wonderful sister:-)

Ontario Emperor said...

When the girlfriend comes by to visit, just keep this in mind - "He has to carry on the family name." Every girlfriend that is rejected delays this duty.

Maybe that will help. I had no such problems, being an only child.

Nome said...

Just out of curiosity, does she have to be Asian?

Vien said...

No one envies who this girl will be. I'm sure she will be someone special if she gets the approval of all 3 of you. :)

One important feature, how about if she completely loves your brother for who he is and will accept and support him no matter what....called unconditionality...

Mrs. Loquacious said...

Thankfully my bro has a *lot* of time left before he needs to settle down, so one would imagine he'd be able to find Miss Perfect in the decade and a bit that he's got left before he becomes too old. ;)

As for Asian - that's a plus for my parents, but not a requirement for me per se. Neither Sister 3 nor I married Chinese, so we don't expect that from Little Bro either.

And finally, Viener - absolutely, she needs to love him unconditionally. That is implicit and probably one of the biggest unspoken "musts."

Nome said...

This is good to know. I tend to think multiracial romance is the way of the future.

And let's be honest: it makes for beautiful babies.

Ridley Thunder said...

I always get pushed to marry Latina. Which is not really such a big problem.

Nome said...

It's not a big problem unless you fall desperately in love with someone you isn't...

Mrs. Loquacious said...

I think mixed-race babies are the cutest! But then again, how biased am I? ;)

superstarjo said...

Mrs. L - you forgot the following criteria:

1) She must have a good sense of humour. That's a must when marrying into our fam. Which brings me to . . .

2) She must fit in well with the rest of us.

3) She must love EATING! None of that "I'll just have a salad, dressing on the side" kinda crap. That will NEVER bode well in our family.

4) She has to be fairly easygoing. We have enough uptight chickys already! Ha ha!

Yuk Fai said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Yuk Fai said...

Way to take the cowards way out by deleting my comment... the least you could do is answer my question with a public response.

Wobbly*Bits said...

He's cute, and if he weren't like a hundred years younger than me I'd totally use this blogging thing as my own personal dating service! LOL. But seriously mixed kids are the CUTEST. My best friend is super model gorgeous, half vietnamese/half white, and Halle Berry? Need I say more? I gotta find me someone to marry who's not white. You know..or someone to marry at all...male would be good.

What was my point? Oh yeah, your brother's cute!

Mrs. Loquacious said...

Yuk Fai - I had to delete your comment because you used my actual name, and I attempt to protect the identities of people on this blog by not using real names, unless that is what they have chosen to use as their name.

And Wobbly - thanks! I think he's pretty cute too (for a brother)!

Wobbly*Bits said...

Your name's not really Mrs. Loquacious? Hmmm...my name is really wobbly

Mrs. Loquacious said...

Well, my real name might as well be Mrs. Loquacious... but no, my parents weren't original enough to come up with that! ;)

Linda said...

I can hold my own ;)

Cheers!