Monday, August 14, 2006

Don't Get It

You know how the whole web-blog surfing works, right? You read someone's blog post, read their comments board, click on the link of someone else who has left a comment on their blog, then end up at this new person's blog, which you then read.

In my blog-surfing adventures, I have come across several blogs that seem to post almost exclusively about the blogger's sex life, their "conquests" (or one-night-stands/threesomes/fun with sex toys), and the details before, during, and after these encounters. Some of these posts contain very explicit details. Some even contain NSFW pictures of the blogger, just to drive home the point of their post.

I guess I don't understand this type of content or the bloggers who have chosen such a public (albeit arguably "anonymous") forum on which to post the most intimate details of their sex lives. I mean, I get the ideas of freedom of speech and expression, of online personal diaries, of exploring hidden parts of oneself through words, and of writing for cathartic release. What I don't get, though, is how one can share these sorts of specific sexual details without feeling like they may have betrayed the one that they were with, or how one can block out that little part of their brain that might be thinking, "What if someone I know comes across this blog and reads this and discovers that it's me writing it?"

For me, the ability to completely compartmentalize and isolate the "online world" from the "real life world" is impossible - all of my friends know that I have a blog, as do all of my hubby's friends and colleagues; my in-laws read my blog, and my siblings are frequent visitors to the site. Even if I were to publish an entirely different, brand new site under a pseudonym, I doubt I would be able to fib enough (or divulge precious few details enough) to hide my identity for long.

So what drives people to maintain such sexually explicit blogs, and to share these very private details to the public? I just don't get it!


6 comments:

T-Rex~! said...

I never really understand it either. Honestly, at times I think it just a way to titillate and try to score hits by attempting to pander to the tawdry side of things. I definitely wouldn't be talking about my sex life on my blog; heck, I don't like talking about my sex life period!

Except for *fake* details about my sex life!! Like that one time in the T-Rex costume, that was pretty hot. But more for another time...

Wobbly*Bits said...

I actually came across a blog that linked me to another blog. It was a married couple that each told their version of their sexual activities. I admit, it was odd, and I won't go back and read it again. I find it awkward.

That said, if I can manage to get laid in the next seven years, I'll be bloggin allll about it. Clearly that's quite different. I expect parades and applause of such an event should occur.

Mrs. Loquacious said...

Well, miracles are an entirely different story ;) j/k

Justice~! said...

Admittedly, I think "I just got laid suckaz!" is an awesome post title. Go for it Wobbly!

Wobbly*Bits said...

Haha!! It's funny b/c it's true... :P

Ontario Emperor said...

Blog, no blog, or whatever, I don't even understand why people want to photograph or videotape sexual acts (assuming they're not selling said photos or videos for money). What motivates someone to say, "Wait just a moment honey while I set up the camera"? I just don't get it.

However, one can distinguish between photographing sex acts and photographing sexiness. Once my family was visiting one of my wife's friends in a foreign country, and we were looking through some photos. Suddenly we ran across a photo that the husband had taken of the wife during her pregnancy - a definite NSFW photo. More artistic than erotic, but just something that usually wouldn't be done in North America.