Friday, August 04, 2006

Bag Wars

My Hubbs and I have reached an impasse. No, not about money, or buying a car, or household chores. It's about his wallet, and his sunglasses. And my purse.

You see, on my last outing to Sorrentino's with my girlfriends, I was mocked for carrying a "mom purse." In truth, it wasn't really a mom purse, but it was a sizeable bag that contained a lot of stuff. The reason why I was toting around such a large bag was that I often carry not only *my* wallet, sunglasses, keys, and phone, but my hubby's wallet and sunglasses as well. Not only that, but I am also looked at as the supply person for emergency allergy medication, eyedrops, extra paper and pens, mints, Kleenex, our digital camera, and important documents.

Anyway, when Hubbs wears pants with deep large pockets, or he has a jacket, I am spared my extra carrying duties. However, some of his dress pants have shallow pockets that are not conducive to carrying large wallets, and in the summer he doesn't wear jackets, which means that he either has to carry his "stuff" around in his hands, or he has to find alternative homes for them. Enter me and my purse.

Well, after my public purse mocking, I had had enough of my big momma bag, so I went out and bought myself a smaller tote. It stll holds my cell, my wallet, my keys, and my sunglasses or my camera (but not both), with arguably enough room for kleenex and mints and allergy meds and eyedrops and a pen, but with no room to spare for any "extras" from my man. This has made his life a little more difficult, as it has meant that he has had to either cram his wallet into his pocket or else carry both that and his sunglasses around in his hand.

Ever the helpful wife, I also began to look for ways to solve his problem. I thought that I had come up with an awesome solution when I proposed the man bag, which I have seen carried off with style by some very yuppie-type metrosexuals working downtown. A company called Man-n-bag actually makes bags for guys like Hubbs, and others like them have jumped on board the man-bagwagon. I found two particularly appealing bags through M.E.C.: one for work and one for leisurely shopping trips.

Hubbs has politely declined my earnest pleas to procure him one or both of these sexy bags. I think he fears that they are too girly in appearance, or that somehow porting the bag would take away from his oozing machismo. I hardly believe that such would occur, but he doesn't believe me.

And so we've reached an impasse.

Won't you help convince him that a man-bag is the solution to his wallet/sunglasses/keys problem? I truly believe that every self-respecting metrosexual should have one. Don't you?


15 comments:

Justice~! said...

This self-respecting metrosexual still has his dignity, though!!

Black laptop bags all the way!

Mrs. Loquacious said...

Um,..these bags come in black, too! If you wanted, I could buy you the ones in black! =D

Justice~! said...

I still believe it too much "backpack" and not enough "sexiest man alive", but we'll investigate...

Ontario Emperor said...

Having no style, metro or otherwise, I've recently been lugging around a flimsy backpack I got at a Hewlett Packard event.

Incidentally, I married my wife for her purse. She married me for my rocking chair (which we finally donated to our church 15+ years later).

Mrs. Loquacious said...

Wow. What ever happened to marrying for love?!? ;)

My Hubbs has no rocking chair to offer, nor I a purse (anymore). Hence the debate over getting his own man-bag.

Steven said...

I don't think Don would let it go if Justice bought a man bag. He would never hear the end of it.

Mrs. Loquacious said...

But what if *I* bought J a manbag? Then that's a different story... ;)

Ridley Thunder said...

Do it H. Do it, do it, do it, you're the woman in that relationship. And I would also love to see the sight of Justice begrudigly wearing a man bag everywhere. Maybe you can sew a Decepticon badge in it, and pretends it transforms. You can even call it a Manbagobot.

Mrs. Loquacious said...

I like the way you think, Ridley. ;) Although don't you think an Autobot symbol would be more friendly?

Justice~! said...

You know, a man-bag with the Decepticon insignia embossed on it is probably the *only* way you'd get me to carry a man-bag. And only in private. =)

cristina said...

there is no MAN in manbag!!! (well, okay there is, but you get my drift)

SORRY MRS...you can take away a lot of things from a man...or even add to them...but the only thing a man can look sexy carrying around is a nice plain diaper bag ;)

For future reference, J, those have TONS of room for your stuff in them too! I don't even carry a purse anymore myself!

DONT GIVE UP THE GOOD FIGHT J!!!!!

DOWN with man bags!!!!

superstarjo said...

As a marketing professional, I suggest rebranding the man bag to Man-Sac. That sounds more masculine, if not slightly crude. Besides, they already have two man-sacs, why not add another??? :P

Generally, more palatable to the average guy! :)

Justice~! said...

Just for a minor correction here- I'm pretty sure 99% of guys only have *one* man-sac, and not two, genetic wonders notwithstanding.

Wynn said...

My husband doesn't carry a wallet, and I don't carry a purse... impasse passed.

Mrs. Loquacious said...

No purse?! Now you're just talking nonsense to me! ;)