Monday, July 31, 2006

Absence Makes His Heart Grow Fonder

This past weekend was the first weekend my Hubbs and I had spent apart since our wedding day. In fact, it was the first time we had spent *any* night apart since last July.

Anyway, he had been looking forward to the weekend for months. To him, it was a chance to get some time away from his oft-nagging wifey; it was also a chance to play some male-bonding poker and do some work and regain some independence and space. I, on the other hand, was totally anxious about being away from my wonderful man for what seemed like such a long time.

When the time came for me to leave, Hubbs nearly pushed me out the door! He had stuff to do in prep for his poker night, and I was getting in his way. I, however, nearly had to fight back tears as I gave him that final hug good-bye.

When I got to my destination and started having great conversations with the girls, thoughts of my Hubbs were pushed to the side and the weekend flew by. I had a great time, and though I missed him lots and called him a few times, I was happy for the time we spent apart.

Hubbs, on the other hand, found it just a tad lonely in our home once the poker night was over and he was all by himself. According to him, he missed me a lot and regretted being so overly excited about being away from me. He spent the rest of the weekend playing video games and reading and thinking about me. =)

While I was a little sad to see the weekend end when I arrived home, Hubbs was thrilled about my return. In fact, he had gone out and bought me some flowers, and had also printed off a sweet "Welcome Home" sign for me. He vowed never to wish for us to have separate "vacations" again, and gave me one of the nicest and biggest hugs I've had in a long time.



Moral of the story? Absence *does* make the heart grow fonder. At least, in this case. And though we both found ourselves having opposite reactions to what we had anticipated for the weekend, it was a good reminder to us both that sometimes a bit of time apart can really be a good thing.


3 comments:

superstarjo said...

I cannot believe that neither of you have realized that some solo time is what keeps couples happy. How else are you supposed to develop your own identity and interests? Just because you become a couple, doesn't mean you give up all titlements to yourself.

Mrs. Loquacious said...

Yes, solo time is good. We've just never discovered the art of overnight solo time for more than 48 hours, that's all. We'll probably never do more than 3 nights apart, though. Too tough on me. ;)

Justice~! said...

Trust me, I know that solo time is nice - but after a while I just miss my wife!

Nothing wrong with loving your wife a lot and massively enjoying the time you spend with her!