Wednesday, June 07, 2006

What I Learned in Elementary Music Class


Did you know that the natural singing voice range for all children is actually from the first-line F to the high E? I did not. I also don't remember ever being able to sing that high. No, this loquacious girl was born with a husky, low, breathy, torch-singer voice. I'm sure of it.

*******

On a related note, many "children's songs" are performed in an adult's comfortable singing range rather than a child's. As a result, most of these sing-a-long songs are actually too low for most kids (forcing them to use their "talking voice" tones), and thus are not developmentally appropriate for teaching them to sing.

*******

I discovered this week that recorders usually squeak when played for the following reasons (all of which I have done during my recorder adventures):

1) The holes aren't being covered properly with the fleshy part of one's fingers
2) The recorder has too much moisture inside its body, and needs to be cleaned
3) You're blowing too hard on the instrument. (Wait, that sounded dirty for some reason!)

Note that one of the reasons is NOT that one has a defective recorder, as I believe is the case with me. ;)


*******

If I take the 8:50 train, I can get to class for 9:02. Sure, that's not punctual since class begins at 9:00, but I have problems trying to leave home earlier than that. I don't know why.

*******

Music and Phys. Ed. actually have a lot more in common than most people think. Both subjects
actually have (as part of the mandated curriculum) the required elements of dance (aka movement to music), and games (again, movement to music/sound). Both subjects are also the ones to be "taken away" or "cut" when students misbehave, or time runs out. Neither subject feels very happy about this, and argue vehemently that their value is equal to that of math and language arts and science. Do you agree? Think about all the pudgy, musically-challenged kids you've seen or known in the last few years (and I don't count Karaoke Revolution or Guitar Heroes as "music") and then tell me what you think! ;)

*******

The only thing worse than having to play the recorder is having to play the recorder for 15% of your mark. That sucks.



2 comments:

Justice said...

and I don't count Karaoke Revolution or Guitar Heroes as "music"

OUCH!! And somewhere out there, Richardson Mah sheds a silent tear...;)

Justice said...

I should add here that I do not consider Richardson pudgy in the slightest!!