Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Time Escapes Me




Where does the time go? Honestly, I had an excuse when I had classes to attend and assignments to complete. Now, I am just a sad slothful human being with no excuse.

It is 1:35 p.m. and I am still sitting at the computer, where I have been perched (on-and-off) for the past 5.5 hours. I have, in that time, managed to accomplish embarrassingly little: I've made (and consumed) 2 meals, done 1 load of laundry, done 1 load of dishes, brushed my teeth, read 4 chapters of a book, and read an excess of gossip blogs. Oh, and I ordered some contact lenses over the phone. That has been the extent of my activity in the last 5.5 hours.

This has been the course of the day for the past 3 days of my "summer holiday" life. I'm not sure how time has managed to speed up so as to reduce the available time I have for getting a hubcap, going to the gym, and running miscellaneous errands. I start out the day well-intentioned, too; I have big plans to hit the gym early, and get showered and ready, and be on the road by noon. I get up at a decent hour, and eat breakfast at a "normal' time. So what has kept me from accomplishing my goals?

I blame the Internet. The fact that I have so much information available to me just a few keystrokes and clicks away means that I can forever be online and at my computer, and not notice that time (and my life!) is passing me by. These countless hours of aimless surfing do little to improve me as a person, but entertain me to no end and therefore, capture my attention and energy. It is a shameful thing, really; the whole surf-the-net-just-because practice is incredibly unhealthy and unproductive and inexcusable, even for someone who is on vacation.

Is time escaping you as well? Are you, like myself, an Internet junkie? If so, things must change. It is time to turn off the computer. It is time to tackle all of those projects that you've been saving "for the summer" or "for the weekend," and it is time to get out of the house and do something that requires some activity! We must (I must) take charge of our time and start making conscious choices to be productive, rather than let time run amuck with our schedules and leave us feeling tired and lame at the end of another uneventful day!

Take back time, I say! Don't let it escape us any more!

And with that, I'm off to the gym. And to run some errands.


3 comments:

cristina said...

SOrry i couldn't finish reading this entry today! I got a good way through it when you started to make me feel guilty so i had to jet!! adios chika ;) LOL

Mrs. Loquacious said...

Guilt is sometimes a good force. May the force be with you! ;)

On an addendum to this post, it started to rain very hard right after. In fact, I would call it a downpour. I still hauled my sorry butt to the gym, though, so I am proud of my slothful self. =)

Ridley Thunder said...

pfft....writing on my blog IS something I have to do this summer