Monday, June 26, 2006

Another Perspective



My hubby pointed out to me an article written by a former teacher named John Taylor Gatto. His article, titled Against School, pinpoints some pretty major flaws in our education system, and criticizes the entire institution of mandatory schooling. He also discusses the history of organized education and its founding premise, as he understands it. Although I don't quite take the same extremist view that Gatto has taken, I do agree that sometimes educators need to be more creative and adaptive, and be willing to take risks to help students think "outside of the box." I thought his article was an interesting point of view worthy of considering, especially if you are an educator or a parent. It definitely gave me something to think about.








0 comments: