Wednesday, May 03, 2006

An Answer to Prayer


As I trolled around several other people's blogs over the past few days, I have noticed a common topic being written about: relationships. The majority of these have talked about how to/where to find the right significant other, or how people have chanced upon more frogs than the Pharoah saw in Egypt, when looking for a disguised prince or princess.

In reading about these misadventures in dating, I can't help but think about how lucky I am! I haven't had to kiss a bunch of frogs in my lifetime. In fact, I only had to kiss one (a particularly slimy, gross one, of course), before I found my prince. I haven't had to go through the cyclical dating hell of getting to know someone, going through a courtship, and then finding out he was actually a frog in the disguise of a man. I have been spared the heartache of getting my heart broken, or being disappointed, over and over again; I was able to escape the waves of self-doubt and insecurity that many suffer from after being broken up with. I haven't been subject to awkward blind dates set up by well-meaning friends, nor have I had to resort to hitting the dwelling of most bottom-feeders, the bar, in my quest for that right "fish."

Some might say that I got lucky, that I am a rare breed of individual who just happened to be at the right place at the right time. I would disagree. I remember very distinctly, at the young and naive age of 16, praying a prayer that God would keep me pure and keep my heart protected until He brought my future husband into my life in His perfect timing. I even remember praying for him, that still-yet-unknown future husband, that God would work in his life to make him a man of integrity and faith and patience and compassion.

And I believe God has answered my prayer. My "luck" in relationships has nothing to do with chance or good fortune; it has everything to do with me having asked God for something, and Him answering it in His own good time. And I thank God every day for my handsome answer to prayer; he is wonderful and sweet and funny and everything I had hoped for in a husband and more than I had ever dreamed of in a man. And I am so happy to know that I will grow old with him. Thank God for answered prayers!

4 comments:

Ridley Thunder said...

You lucky lucky girl

Vien said...

Aww, that is a very sweet tribute.

And you might also add, that the prayer included shaping you into the woman and wife God intends for you to be. :)

superstarjo said...

When I let go of a past unhealthy relationship, I made a pact with God: that I would leave that guy *if* God would provide me with a love that would meet all the expectations I'd set out. He answered my prayer by bringing me someone who actually *exceeds* my expectations.

Thank God for keeping promises!

Clay&Water said...

Yes you are very fortunate...I'm almost 43, never married, and have had my share of heartache. But I'm turning a corner now that I'm saved. I'm starting to blog about praying for my future husband. So you're post is very encouraging to me. I'm not listing it in the directory, but you can visit my blog at http://my-future-husband.blogspot.com