Sunday, April 30, 2006

Something New


According to the old adage, "April showers bring May flowers." If one works hard and cultivates and sows during the winter and early spring, one will see beautiful results in this upcoming month. Of course, the operative word in that sentence is, "If." As I reflect on my past four months, I am a little embarrassed to say that I have not sown enough good things over the last little while to merit reaping a "bloom" just yet. This lack of productivity has been sobering and has brought about a new desire within me for change and improvement in terms of my physical, spiritual, and mental conditions. I am excited to begin the month of May, during which I will be introducing a few "new" things into my life. Here are some of them:

1) I am going to hit the gym 4-5 times a week again, doing both cardio and weight-training (for the past few months, I've only averaged 1-2x/week, and the focus has been weights only).

2) I am giving up deep fried foods. Yep, that means no more indulging in french fries, dry ribs, or Timbits during my "break days."


3) I am experimenting with baking and cooking a little more extensively durin
g my weeks off school, and breaking in my Better Homes & Gardens Dieter's Cookbook.

The menu for this week will therefore include: Asian Flank Steak & Orange Glazed Baby Carrots, Pork Tenderloin with Melon Salsa & Spinach Feta Bake, Squirt of Orange Pork Chops & Scalloped Potatoes, Maple Hoisin Glazed Halibut & Green Bean Casserole, and Sesame Chicken & Cider Peas and Apples. I already baked my first whole-wheat loaf of banana bread this morning, and it turned out pretty tasty =) I'll probably whip up a batch of whole-wheat chocolate chip oatmeal cookies before the week is done, too.

4) I am getting back into the swing of regular devotions (again, something that has become rather neglected during my quest for that elusive 4.0). My books of choice will be the Bible and Praying the Names of God, and I will also finish listening to the DaVinci Code sermons from Coast Hills Church.

5) I am going to do more recreational reading, and will finally get around to reading Frey's very fictional A Million Little Pieces, as well as Memoirs of a Geisha (I know, it's shocking that I have not read this yet), The Five People You Meet in Heaven, and some other best-selling novels that I've neglected to notice thus far.

May seems like a good month for change, and I'm definitely feeling that second wind of momentum to initiate and follow through on making better lifestyle choices.

So, what about you? Have you sown enough wonderful things in your life in the past
four months to look forward to reaping some benefits? What changes might May bring for you?

PS - Thank God for sunshine to wake me up in the mornings! And my brand new Nine West Rapido sneakers. And warming temperat
ures outside and air-conditioning inside. And the freedom to make changes whenever we want!








1 comments:

Seven Star Hand said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.